Reflection on the culture project

In language arts class we got an assignment in which we were supposed to convey our understanding the reflection on the culture project in the best way possible. I wrote an essay on culture with Mrs. Taynton. In my essay I talked about culture, Laurence Yep and one of his book that I read: The Serpent’s Children. I also talked about me, my culture, what did I think when I read the book and if I liked the book. I explained why Laurence Yep felt like an outsider in his own cultures. In his book, Laurence Yep described a girl and her brother who felt like outsiders in their village. I think that Laurence Yep wanted to show how he felt when he was younger in his book.

When I wrote the essay I searched about Laurence Yep, his life and how he felt when he was young. I learned a lot about being an outsider in our own culture and learning new cultures that are really different then ours. I compared Laurence Yep, his book and me. I explained why I didn’t recognize myself in the book and where I come from. Some people accept and assume their own culture in front of people from other cultures. But also a lot of people try to hide their own culture to pretend they are someone else.

I tried to write the best I can. I researched on the internet, and I tried to explain where I come from and what I think about the book and Laurence Yep’s life. I tried to write an essay but the format was more like a blog than an essay. I think that it was a successful way for me to learn because it’s easier for me to explain what i want to say in an essay than in an oral presentation. I improved in my writing style and next time I could try to make an oral presentation.

When I wrote about Laurence Yep’s life, I realized that I’m quite similar to him in various ways. Mainly when it comes feeling alienated. Now that i live in China, I can see that my French culture is quite different than Chinese culture and also to the different cultures in my school and that is also like Laurence Yep felt when he went to high school.

One thought on “Reflection on the culture project

1. This is a good reflection, Cleophee. Well done. You are right when you say your essay sounded more like a blog so I’m curious why you did not take my advice and actually make it a blog post? Anyway, the structure of an essay is also evident, so it’s fine either way. I particularly like the way you make connections between yourself and the themes and ideas in the novel, as well as to culture in general. Well done.